That's The Last Time
Chapter 2 - The Call
The next morning Barbara woke up feeling extremely tired. Her eyes red, her hair a mess and still wearing her school uniform. She lay there a few more minutes, yawning and rubbing her bloodshot eyes. They were still sore from her crying last night.
While lying in her comfy bed, Babs heard her stomach growling, to which she placed a hand on it and remembered that she didn't have dinner last night because of the rough time she had yesterday. She went to the kitchen and saw her father peacefully sitting at the already set table, taking a sip from his coffee with his face stuck in the newspaper. Barbara greeted her dad with a gloomy voice, while taking a seat before him.
- What was up with all the commotion last night? he asked with a worried look, placing his unread newspaper on the table, taking another sip from his cup.
- Nothing you should worry about. replied Barbara, while fumbling her omelet with a fork, carelessly.
- Listen, Barb... he paused for a second to take off his glasses if there is anything you want to talk about, I want you to know that I will always be here for you. James stood there staring at his daughter with a concerned look on his face.
- I know dad, and I appreciate everything you do for me, but there are just some things I need to take care of myself. I hope you understand. the two of them didn't say a word through the rest of the breakfast.
After getting ready, Barbara headed to school. This time she didn't ask her father to drive her, instead she decided to walk since it was too early. She was feeling tired, and thinking of yesterday made her feel even worse. Her stomach was curled in a ball and her breathing was getting heavier as she was getting closer to school. She didn't feel like seeing Dick today, but at the same time she really wanted to apologize for her behaviour. Her head hurt more as she remembered her actions yesterday.
Barbara and Richard could never stay mad at each other for long. They were best friends! They told each other everything
well, almost everything. Dick had been acting strangely for the past few weeks, and it has been driving Babs crazy. There were so many questions she wanted to ask him, but lately, he hardly showed his face around. She just wanted to sit down and have a peaceful lunch with him, without someone interrupting them by phoning him. When she asked who was calling he just answered it was either Wally or another friend and he always had to make up an excuse and leave to answer. Sometimes he took too long and when he finally went back to her it was only to say that he wouldn't be able to walk home with her because something very "important" had come up. Babs would sometimes ask what it was and if he needed help or if he would need a ride, but Dick would decline by either changing the subject or running off saying he was going to be late for class. It was becoming extremely annoying and she was eager to find out what was going on.
As Barbara arrived to school, she went straight to one of the classrooms where Dick was supposed to have his first lesson today. She looked around the room but soon left when she didn't find him. "Maybe I'm too early
yeah, that's it
it's too early." Dick was always one of the students who arrived 5 minutes before the class starts but he was never late for school. He took his time sleeping and when he would wake up he would quickly get ready and grab an already prepared breakfast, made by yours truly: Alfred Pennyworth, which he would later eat in the car, before Bruce dropped him off at school while going to work.
Every single recess Babs went to the classrooms where he was supposed to have lessons but he was never there. She ran from room to room, asking some of Dick's classmates where he was but none of them knew. At the end she got tired of running around this big-ass school and decided to call him.
- Dick, where the hell are you, I've been searching for you the whole day?
- Sorry Babs, I wasn't able to make it today I had a little work to do, maybe I'll see you tomorrow, OK?
- "Maybe???" Dick I don't know what's been going on with you lately but whatever it is there must be a good reason for you not to tell me, so I'm going to say something that's been on my mind for a long time now and I hope I don't sound too corny! First, I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I shouldn't have picked on you like that, I guess I just got a little
- Listen Babs, everything has been long forgotten and I'm sorry too for ignoring you lately but you have to understand that there has been a lot going on in my life and there were some changes and I really can't talk to you about it, yet. I have to go now, Bruce is calling me. See you tomorrow.
"I can't believe he did it again! There has been a lot going on in his life??? What's that supposed to mean? Can't tell me
yet? Why not? What in the world is so important that he mustn't tell ME? And to think I was just about to let my feelings out!!! Thank God he interrupted me! Seriously!"
School ended and Barbara went home still thinking about what happened. What if she did tell Dick how she felt? Would that change anything between them or is he going to ignore her like he does lately and act like nothing had happened? She shook her head from those stressful thoughts. She was just glad that he didn't give her the chance to say what was on her mind, but she knew that sooner or later she had to tell him the truth or her consciousness was going to eat her from the inside.